Shock Absorber Extreme (Reservoir, Preload, High & Low Speed) - KTM Adventure 990 from 2007
The Touratech Suspension Extreme shock absorber ranks in the absolute premium class of suspension components. This Extreme shock absorber for the KTM 990 Adventure is perfectly suited to touring and riding with frequent dramatic changes in loading and riding conditions, and the most extreme demands. The Extreme shock absorber is fitted with a position sensitive damping system (PDS), which utilizes a second damping piston to provide hydraulic protection against bottoming out. Even fully laden with luggage under the most extreme off-road conditions, the bike will not bottom out and the shock absorber is protected against mechanical overload. Damping characteristics change depending on the road surface. When riding under most conditions, the shock absorber is comfortably adjusted for a less strenuous ride, before the PDS kicks in for the last portion of the shock absorber stroke.
For you, this means that the Extreme adjustment range can accommodate any luggage volume from a tail bag to a fully loaded luggage system and/or pillion passenger. You can easily and quickly restore the bike's balance via a hand wheel that adjusts the spring preload. The very fine damping adjustment on the external reservoir lets you adjust the suspension effectively and precisely to suit your personal riding style at any time, on any condition of road, and for any purpose - whether motorways, main roads, winding country lanes, off-road sections, long-distance travel with lots of luggage or for a snappy, daring riding style.
You will experience a completely new ride feel on your motorbike.
Facts at a glance:
- This shock absorber is configured and adjusted ready for use based on our experience with the KTM 990 Adventure.
- The parameters are: vehicle weight / shock absorber pivot point / design constraints / test rides.
- This shock absorber is designed for a rider's weight including luggage of up to 100 kg.
The matching component for the front of the KTM 990 Adventure from 2007 is the Progressive fork springs for KTM 990 Adventure *from 2007* Art.: 01-370-5836-0
Characteristics of the Touratech Suspension Extreme shock absorber:
- The shock absorber body is made of aluminum. This keeps its weight to a minimum.
- All assemblies and components are designed for intense use on heavy touring motorcycles.
- Special low-friction seals are fitted. As a result, there is very little wear and the shock absorber has a long service life.
- Strong stainless steel bushings for the securing bolts are fitted to the spring eye. They make sure the securing bolt is seated firmly with no play even under maximum loads.
- Floating piston design. The floating piston separates the damping fluids - oil and nitrogen - allowing them to work separately. As a result, the shock absorber response is finer. Precise, high-performance damping even with very high damping frequency (bad roads, dirt tracks). Shock absorber cools better. Minimal restrictions for the shock absorber's fitting position on the motorbike.
- Hydraulic Extreme preload via an easily accessible, well positioned hand wheel.
- The damper settings were developed in line with Touratech's experience and requirements. They are based on many miles travelled and experiences gained from use by the Touratech Race Team.
- Extreme compression damping adjustment always has separate high speed and low speed settings. This allows highly individual compression/rebound adjustment. Perfect adaptability to changing requirements.
- Separate Extreme external reservoir in the shock absorber's damping assembly. Means shock absorber system cools better when riding. Gives the shock absorber greater resilience and a longer service life.
- QR barcode on the shock absorber contains individual shock absorber data. Simply scan with a smartphone to access the specific information for the shock absorber. Information on the shock absorber's factory settings is always available. Can be reset if incorrectly adjusted.
The basic setup fitted here is designed for riders up to 100 kg including luggage. Modifications are possible for a heavier rider (more than 100 kg) and/or if the bike is usually ridden with a passenger / with luggage. In this case, we individually modify the shock absorber to meet your needs by fitting a spring with a higher spring rate. Please fill out our suspension check form and send it back to us.